Retain OpenTAP execution state on system reboot

Hi, I have a use case where I need to retain OpenTAP execution state after reboot on Linux and continue execution at the TestStep immediately after the one that issued the reboot after it boots back up. Reboot will be initiated from an OpenTAP TestStep.
Do you have any thoughts or suggestions on how this can be done?

1 Like

OpenTAP does not support resuming a testplan in a different process from the one that started it. I can’t really think of a way to support that which doesn’t involve imlpementing it within OpenTAP. You are welcome to submit a feature request. I’m sure there are other scenarios where it would be a useful feature, though I don’t know when or if we would have time to implement it.

My recommendation would be to run the testplan on a different machine and control the machine remotely. I checked the repo, and it looks like there is an SSH plugin:

https://packages.opentap.io/index.html#/?name=SSH

Note, however:

• There is only a beta release available.
  • I have not been involved in the development of it.
  • I don’t know if anyone is using the plugin.
  • The plugin is not actively maintained

The plugin is open source though, so you should be able to make modifications if needed (though I am not super familiar with the implications of the Apache License 2.0)

As an alternative, you could separate the tasks that need to happen before and after booting into different test plans, if this is acceptable for your use case.

Thanks for the response @alexander.larsen