GUI Frameworks Used for OpenTAP

Inspired by @GoranJohnsson 's post here:

I’m curious what everyone is using for GUI technologies around Open. The obviously OpenTAP is .netstandard/C# and the Keysight PathWave Editor is written in WPF.

We have the REST API which allows for more web based applications in HTML etc.

WinUI 3 was mentioned. There are a few others like Blazor that look promising. Anyone with experience or strong opinions in this area?

I’m using the Editor, so wpf. Any custom UI elements are all done in wpf as well. I haven’t yet migrated my OpenTAP projects to .netstandard. I’m not sure how best to approach that. Might be a good thread to start.

3 Likes

Late I know…

Yup, I’m using the editor too but I’ve only created very simple wpf gui’s for panels.

Can richer wpf gui’s be built for test steps, DUT’s and instruments rather than using panels?

Say you’ve written a really cool driver for a spectrum analyser to be used by test steps, then a gui isn’t needed. But someone asks you to create an app so they can set up a spectrum analyser and capture the screen amongst other things.

We really do not want to come out of the editor, and users are getting used to its interface now, so we need to look at ways of creating those interactive tools within the editor. Can it be done and are there any detailed examples of such implementations?

The development doc’s clearly state there should be no need to do this, and I’m completely on board. It keeps in with the cross-platform and OpenTAP ethos. However, managers and users, are strange beasts and always like a good gui.

2 Likes

This is definitely possible, and we have seen more users creating more advanced Dockable Panels. Calling these “interactive tools” is interesting, as we have discussed having what we can an “Interactive Mode” that focused more on button clicks/single command execution vs the standard automation ( (discussed a little bit here)

What we don’t yet have a is good, publicly available template or examples for this, but here is a screenshot to give you can idea of what has been done:

1 Like

That’s exactly the sort of thing I’m looking for guidance on.

I’ve created dockable wpf panels but not something that’s as rich as this.

I know the examples touch on the subject but I’m looking forward to seeing some more complex examples in the Developer System in the near future I hope.

2 Likes