Additional Files are created while loading TapPlan using profile

Hi Team,

We have created a Tap plan and we save Profile inside the Tap plan folder.

We have also created a property inside Tap Plan, so while loading the tap plan we load profile from the
Tap plan folder.

/// <summary>
        /// Gets or sets Profile location.
        /// </summary>
        [Browsable(false)]
        public string Profilelocation
        {
            get => this.profilelocation; set
            {
                this.profilelocation = value;
                if (!this.isProfileSaving)
                {

this.SetProfile(true);
                }
            }
        }
 public void SetProfile()
{
ComponentSettings.SettingsDirectoryRoot = this.profilelocation; 
ComponentSettings.SetSettingsProfile("Bench", profileName);
ComponentSettings.EnsureSettingsDirectoryExists("Bench", true); 
ComponentSettings.SaveAllCurrentSettings();
}

Problem we face is, additional files like Editor.xml,Engine.xml,Results.XML etc… is created inside tap plan folder.
Are we doing some wrong code to load profile.?
Or is this an expected behavior?

Please advice .

1 Like

@justin_c_i this is expected. All those files are required for a complete Profile. If they aren’t explicitly created they will be generated using the default settings.

Hi @brennen_direnzo

What all files are considered as a “complete profile”?

All these file outside bench also part of the profile? can you please list all the files at considered as the part of profile? is there any other files required from other location?

Thanks.

@justin_c_i technically I guess, those files are setting files, not Profile. Sorry about that. What is “required” varies based on what is installed. The true minimum is:

Engine.xml
Package Manager.xml
Results.xml
Settings\Bench\Default:

Connections.xml
DUTs.xml
Instruments.xml

This would be for a pure OpenTAP install. If you have PathWave Test Automation installed then you would have the GUI related files:

Editor.xml
GUI Controls.xml
GUI Panels.xml
Package Manager GUI.xml

Other Plugins can also have their own settings file (like Switch Manager in your case)

Hi @brennen_direnzo ,

Even if we change the profile location , Settings files should be always read from TestAutomation folder?

Now if we change the Profile location, settings files will be read from the profile location path also default files are created.

Is this a bug ?

Or

We will copy entire settings folder and consider settings folder as the profile?

Thanks.

1 Like

You should use the entire Settings folder.

1 Like

Hi Brennen,
If we copy GUI Controls.xml, any suggestion to make the “RecentTestPlans” as system-wide?
For usability, there should be 1 copy of history of recent TapPlans.
Thanks.

1 Like

@pohchann I don’t think that is possible. I think the easiest way would be to not include it. Then what already exists will be used.

Hi @brennen_direnzo ,
Thanks for the info.
I suspected that both Package Manager.xml and Package Manager GUI.xml are system-wide and no need to copy to profile folder. Whatever changes made, both files under Test Automation\Settings will be updated and not the local copy.
Could you please help to confirm?
Regards.

Everything is local to the TAP directory they are in. They are not System Wide, but if you just mean your plugin directory vs the root TAP directory, then yes that is the case.

When I run Package Manager from my local profile and TapPlan folder, both local Package Manager.xml and Package Manager GUI.xml were not updated. Instead, they were updated under Test Automation\Settings.

Where is your local profile directory? It might be easier if you share what you are trying to do and then we can probably provide some suggestions

Re-posting here for clarification.

When the Package Manager is launched from the Tools menu in Editor, it will launch the PackageManager.exe as a separate process, therefore it creates another instance of the OpenTAP engine. The engine will then proceed to load the settings from the default path, which will be Settings directory in the OpenTAP.dll. Therefore, the Package Manager settings(Packages Manager.xml and Package Manager GUI.xml) are saved into the TAP settings.

1 Like

This is what Brennen means by “local”. When you install PathWave Test Automation, then OpenTAP is obviously also installed. Therefore, settings are specific to this installation (your one and only system-wide installation) if you’re running the Package Manager GUI. Since you only have one installation, they are effectively system-wide.