Editor.exe Licence

Hi all. Just trying to figure out the licencing options for Editor.exe.
The package repo suggests KS8000A is ok, but the web page for that product specifically states no GUI.
Can anyone clarify what the options are for a floating licence just for Editor?

TIA

@benstreek for full functionality of the Editor you would need the KS8400B license. However, we did recently add the functionality where if you are only using custom Dockable Panels it is possible to open just the Editor “shell” along with those custom Dockable Panels with only the KS8000 license.

2 Likes

Thanks, @brennen_direnzo.

A follow-up question. It looks like if I want to use a test plan developed using Editor (via the KS8400B license) in production, I need a KS8000B licence on each machine.

Is this so, even with a custom GUI?

Hi @benstreek,

Generally speaking, you don’t need a KS8000B / TAP_Engine license to run a test plan. It does not matter how you made the test plan, unless some of the test steps in the plan requires a license. The test steps from OpenTAP does not require a license.

So you can use the command line interface, e.g “tap.exe run plan.TapPlan”, or the TUI or your own GUI freely, even if you developed the plan with Editor.

1 Like

Great, thanks for clearing that up

I now have a KS8000B floating license but I’m having issues getting the license manager set up.
I’ve installed the Developer’s System in OpenTAP and when I launch Editor it complains about the lack of a license and prompts me to install PathWave License Manager.

License Manager appears to install successfully

But even after rebooting, Editor displays the same message.

I then tried installing License Manager manually via the download here, but on launching and clicking ‘Specify a Remote License Server’ I get the following.

Do I have to install the full PathWave Test Automation to proceed? Not so much of a problem on my development machine, but if I want to use editor on a test system for debugging, I’d rather avoid it.

Hi @benstreek it actually looks like everything is setup correctly. With a KS8000 license you get the Command Line Interface, REST API, and the Editor “Shell”. Meaning you can’t use the Test Plan Editing, but you can build custom panels for use as an Operator UI for example.

If you want the full Test Plan Editing capabilities you will need the KS8400B license.

Apologies - typo. I have the KS8400B license.

Hello @benstreek and @brennen_direnzo. We are facing a similar situation where installing PathWave License Manager through PackageManager doesn’t create anything in C:\ProgramData\Keysight\Test Automation nor C:\Program Files\ OpenTAP. Doing this yields the same results in @benstreek 's screenshots.

We had some working installs so we tried manually putting the package files (v2.7.0) in C:\ProgramData\Keysight\Test Automation\Packages\PathWave License Manager then installing PathWave License Manager which made it appear ticked in Package Manager and at least made Editor be able to see it

However, PathWave License Manager still doesn’t seem to pick up on all the packages that need licenses I have installed and keeps saying No software has been installed that needs licenses when I try configuring our license server.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Update

Installing manually the package from the command line fixes the No software has been installed that needs licenses issue (it takes some time after printing Installing PathWave License Manager...):

PS C:\Users\yelkh\Downloads\toast\Packages\PathWave License Manager> .\PwlmLicenseInstaller.exe --install
Installing PathWave License Manager...
Process returned: 0
Installing PWLM Metadata
Created PWLM personality file: C:\ProgramData\Keysight\Licensing\Configuration\testautomation.xml

So for summary to get a working configuration I had to install manually as above and copy the package files into C:\ProgramData\Keysight\Test Automation\Packages\PathWave License Manager.